Plan International has been operating in Nigeria since 2014 to promote children’s rights and equality for girls.
Over the years there has been a struggle in Nigeria to provide the country’s young and vast population with a quality education. The situation has been exacerbated by violence from insurgents in the North East of the country since 2009. As a result, thousands of people have died and millions have fled their 币圈十大交易所homes either within Nigeria or to neighbouring countries.
The violence has also caused acute food shortages across the entire Lake Chad region.
Our key areas of work are:
- Ensuring that children continue their education in safety
- Reducing maternal and child mortality amongst marginalised and vulnerable women and girls
- Nutritional support for mothers and young children
- Protecting children from violence
- Empowering young people to stand up for their rights and seek accountability from leaders.
Impact of COVID-19 on youth in the Lake Chad region
The crisis affecting the Lake Chad Basin is one of the most severe humanitarian emergencies in the world. The COVID-19 pandemic will further impact people living in humanitarian contexts with weak health systems. This report highlights the effects of the pandemic on young people.
Meet the students campaigning for girls' rights
Despite high levels of discrimination and inequality in their communities, Aisha and Fatima are taking control of their own lives and supporting other girls and women to do the same.