Plan International has been operating in Nicaragua since 1994. We promote children’s rights and equality for girls by working in partnership with communities, local and national government agencies, universities, the private sector as well as other international and national organisations.
Nicaragua is the second poorest country in the Western Hemisphere with 48% of the population living below the poverty line. In addition, it has the highest rate of teenage pregnancies in the region, with 28% of girls giving birth before 18. It is also one of the countries most susceptible to natural disasters in the world.
Our work supporting children is based on their rights, inclusion and participation.
Our current areas of work are:
- Supporting children to develop fully in their first 1,000 days.
- Protecting children from violence so they can live without fear.
- Preventing teenage pregnancy.
- Helping young people to learn skills and get good jobs.
- Supporting communities to be resilient to natural disasters and climate change.
Our dreams must continue, despite the pandemic
Life changed suddenly for the whole world when COVID-19 arrived, and with it came the need for people to quarantine themselves in their 币圈十大交易所homes. Children and adolescents became immersed in a new reality which has had a huge impact on their lives.